Has progress stopped?


Anyone remember all those stories we were told when we were kids about how progress would go faster and faster and how the industrial revolution started a process that would continue to amaze people? Well, I don't buy it. I have a different theory. Progress has stopped. Think about it. Give me good examples of inventions of let's say the last 10 years. Heck, I'll give you 20 years or even 30. New inventions. Not improvements of an existing concept.

Of course I can see the difference between a Ford T and a Ford Focus or Taurus or whatever. That's not the point. What is really new? Think useful as well, don't give me the entire 'what the invention of particle splitters can do for you' nonsense... I'm thinking household, or office tools. Think ovens. Think hoovers, think fridges. Fridges, good one. My view... the only real improvement of the past 30 years would be that kids can't lock themselves in a fridge anymore without being able to give the door a good push and roll out of them on their own.

Airbags anyone? Is that it? THE invention of the 20th century? Where has the urge to discover new things, develop the unknown, reach for the impossible, disappeared to? Or is it time for me to get really depressed and accept the fact that if it doesn't sell, it won't be developed? Another example to think about. About 10 years ago, a company developed a solar powered lawn mower that could, provided you set the boundaries, mow the lawn by itself. Okay, still 'just an improvement' and not a new invention, but hey, it's a clever thought, right? 10 years later, the thing is still in 'prototype' mode. If you look hard, you can find some models out there, but are they common? No. So we're still stuck with the noisy petrol mowers or the incredibly stupid electric mowers with meters of electric cable dangerously dangling in front of the blades.

Trilobite anyone? Is that it? Office tools? Okay, I'll broaden your options... inventions like these 3D-Printers are valid... They're the closest thing at the moment to Replicators, so I'll cheer for it. Anything that gets me closer to yelling at my wall to give me a nice chocolate mousse and actually getting one is progress in my narrow view.

Transport then... arguably the biggest effect of the industrial revolution was found in transport. So what are we using for transport... Old planes, improved trains (The TGV was introduced in the early 80's, people...), Minivans, taxis with advertisement on the roof... What did you say? The Concorde? The Concorde came to be in the 70's and has now been taken out of service. Whoops. Are we going back in time? I'm worried. So here's my challenge... give me real inventions of the past 3 decades. Just a hint, CDs, DVDs and digital watches don't qualify. Life-altering new concepts, that's what I'm looking for. Please prove me wrong and show me the way to the future is still open...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eek! A Geek!

A Short History of Dutch Music - Part 2

A Short History of Dutch Music - Part 1